Sunday 19 July 2009

I'm a customer, so why do I feel like I'm asking for a favour?

My landlords have been consistent arse holes. it took them over 6 months to do work that was supposed to be completed within a week of me moving in.
On Friday I awoke to a "Drip, drip, dripping" noise. I could tell that it was pissing down outside as when I looked out my bedroom window, I could see water falling from the sky. That is a big clue.
"Fuck!" I thought, as I am quite the smooth tongued Casanova in the morning.
Low and behold, my flat had sprung another leak.

Last time this happened the landlord jumped to action and 3 month later had erected a partition wall to cover the leaking wall.
That's right. Instead of fixing the roof, where the leak occurred, they basically built an obstacle to stop me from seeing water flooding into my bedroom while, at the same time making the bedroom slightly smaller.
I took exception to this and a week later the outside of my building was littered with scaffolding and the roof was fixed.
I was victorious, in the most minor way possible.

This new leak occurred above the living room window and dripped onto a number of my books. I found this most infuriating, to the point where I actually said "Fuck!" as opposed to thinking it.

Now, to the withholding of sarcasm. People who are in a position of relative power are likely to take advantage of such power. I know I would.
I know that one wrong word, to the bint at the letting agency who deals with my property, would lead to a delay in getting the leak fixed.
Here is the phone call we had, with what I wanted to say in *~*.

Me: "Hi there, I've got a leak in my flat."

Landlord Bint:"Must be all this rain we're having."

Me: *That explains it, thanks.*
"Yeah, probably. Well some of it is leaking in through the living room window."

LB: "Well we just did the pointing on the outside last year. That should have stopped any chance of a leak."

Me: *Oh, you got me. I made it up to brighten your day.*
"Well there is water dripping from the window into the flat.from the outside. It's only dripping when it's raining so it's not coming from upstairs."

LB: "It's probably the rain then. It hasn't half been coming down."

Me: *Do you have someone who looks after you? Perhaps I could speak to an adult.*
"Yeah, it's awful, but it's coming into the flat."

By now I feel rather annoyed

LB:"It's probably the angle the rain's falling."

Me:*Well it's falling at the precise angle required to get into my flat, do you not see this as a problem?*
Silence

LB:"Everyone has gone home for the weekend and the building repairs manager is on holiday. I'll ring you back in ten minutes."

Me:"OK. Speak soon."

I can't believe people like this are in charge of builders (my Landlord agency is a large building firm also). Building is far too much of a delicate and intricate job to allow builders to do it, I can't imagine what happens when they have Muppets like this in charge.

Actually I can.Leaky windows happen.from poor pointing!

The phone rings.

Me:*Hello.*
"Hello."

LB:"Hi, yeah, it's me. I've had a word with Alan and he says it's probably from all this rain and the angle it was falling."

Me:*If the rain was falling up, I might accept this line of conversation.*
"Did Alan say anything about fixing the leak or changing the angle of the rain?"

LB:"What?"

Me:*Whoops!*
"Did Alan say anything about stopping the rain coming in?"

LB:"Oh yeah, We'll send a cherry picker round on Monday. We have to get a permit to use the pavement and hire a cherry picker to fix it. It'll cost a fortune"

Me:*I'll go halfers then, eh?*
"I can imagine. I'll be at work on Monday. Let yourself in if you need to be inside."

Goodbyes said, then hang up

So as it stands the leak is being fixed tomorrow, luckily it hasn't rained since Friday.
Last night though, when turning on the living room light, the bulb lit, as is the convention in such affairs, but then it went off. It did this a few time while I flicked the switch repeatedly, like a man who knows what he's doing would do.
I changed the bulb and gave the fitting a few jabs with a hammer and now the light wont work at all.

Luckily I have the day off tomorrow, so now I can be present when these craftsmen are at work. I can stop LB from rummaging around my flat and sniffing my underwear (She sounded like a snuffler!).
I can also tell them about the piss poor putty job that has been done around the windows. It's dried and crumbles off and the glass is barely held in. I suppose I should tell them about the light fitting too.

"Why are you living there?" I hear you ask.
It's cheap and big and in a very handy location.also, I am a glutton for punishment.
I once had a landlord who tied to charge me for breaking my own microwave. He also tried to get me to live with a strange chinaman called Mark.
I liked that landlord.
He had balls.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

5 comments:

  1. Why is it that when you call a person in authority concerning a problem, they first try to explain why you are having the problem, instead of just scheduling a person to come out and FIX the problem? I'm not an idiot, I certainly know why there is a problem. And even if I didn't, I don't CARE why the problem exists, I merely want to be reassured that the problem will be taken care of in a timely fashion.

    From years of having to suffer through useless rhetoric, I've learned to simply state the problem then quickly ask what they intend to do about it. Throw the ball firmly in their court as quickly as possible; not too fast that they miss it, not to slow that they can ignore it. Firmly and soundly in front of them. "What are you going to do about it?"
    If that doesn't work, I start to whine. That works too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn those villainous landlords with their closed wallets and cheap attitudes! How dare they take your money while not providing the services required. Bad men! Shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Did Alan say anything about fixing the leak or changing the angle of the rain?"

    This sentence has given me the best laugh I've had all day!

    ReplyDelete